The Western Roads Upgrade will be delivered as an ‘availability based’ Public Private Partnership project (PPP). The Western Roads Upgrade includes eight capital projects, rehabilitation works and a 20 year maintenance program.
Western Roads Upgrade
Department or agency
VicRoads, in conjunction with the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEDJTR) and Department of Treasury and Finance (DTF).
The Western Roads Upgrade will transform the arterial road network in the western suburbs by boosting capacity and significantly improving road pavement conditions and network infrastructure. The project will deliver a combination of road widening, duplications and intersection upgrades on eight arterial roads in the western suburbs, including:
- Dunnings Road and Palmers Road upgrade, Point Cook Road to Princes Freeway, Point Cook;
- Palmers Road upgrade, Princes Freeway to Western Freeway, Truganina
- Derrimut Road upgrade, Sayers Road to Dohertys Road, Tarneit;
- Leakes Road upgrade, Fitzgerald Road to Derrimut Road, Truganina;
- Dohertys Road upgrade, Fitzgerald Road to Grieve Parade, Laverton North;
- Dohertys Road upgrade, Foundation Road to Palmers Road, Truganina;
- Princes Freeway/Forsyth Road interchange upgrade, Hoppers Crossing; and
- Duncans Road interchange, Werribee/Werribee South.
In an Australian-first, the PPP will also extend to road maintenance – 260 kilometres of the existing arterial road network in the western suburbs will be maintained over a 20 year period.
The availability PPP contract was executed in December 2017 with Netflow – a Cintra and Plenary joint venture – as project sponsor, with WBHO Infrastructure as design and construction lead, and Ferrovial Services companies (Amey / Broadspectrum) as services contractor.
The works on the Western Roads Upgrade will begin in 2018 and will be completed in stages to minimise disruption to road users, with all eight projects to be completed in 2020.
Further information is available on the VicRoads project website.
Website: VicRoads Western Roads Upgrade