Frankston Hospital Redevelopment
Invitations for Expressions of Interest closed
Department and agency
Department of Health and Human Services and Peninsula Health
In September 2018, the Victorian Government made a commitment to redevelop the Frankston Hospital with a proposed investment of $562 million (Project). Built as a community hospital in 1941, the hospital has undergone periodic development over time. The new investment seeks to redevelop and expand the hospital, with a major new inpatient service tower linking into the existing Frankston Hospital.
The Frankston Hospital redevelopment and expansion will provide a huge boost for the region and transform services, delivering:
- a new acute services tower providing the hospital with a new main entrance to support enhanced wayfinding;
- capacity for 120 additional inpatient beds;
- two new operating theatres;
- thirteen enhanced emergency department beds;
- expanded women’s and children’s health services, including maternity, women’s and paediatric clinics and services;
- improved oncology facilities; and
- enhanced mental health services.
The infrastructure works will address the current, and increasing, shortfalls in bed capacity and improve the ability to meet contemporary standards for optimal care for the communities of Frankston and Mornington Peninsula.
The Project will be delivered as an availability public private partnership under the Partnerships Victoria framework. The private consortium will design, construct, finance and maintain the new facility.
Frankston Hospital will remain a public hospital, with all clinical health services operated by Peninsula Health.
Procurement commenced in September 2020 with the release of an Invitation for Expressions of Interest.
Three consortia have been shortlisted to deliver the Project:
- Exemplar Health – comprising Capella Capital, Lendlease, Honeywell and Compass
- Plenary Health – comprising of Plenary Group, Multiplex and Spotless
- Pulse Health Partnership – comprising John Laing, Watpac and Serco Australia
Request for Proposals are expected to be issued to shortlisted bidders in early-mid 2021.
The successful bidder is expected to be announced in early 2022, with construction of a new multi-storey tower to start shortly after. Construction of the main tower is due to be complete in late 2024, and the redeveloped hospital treating patients in early 2025.
Frankston Hospital Redevelopment Project team