Melbourne Convention Centre Development
$367m (total estimated investment 2004)
Service delivery commenced
Department or agency
Major Projects Victoria and Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR)
Private sector partner
Multiplex/Plenary Consortium (MPC) includes:
- Plenary Group - consortium lead, equity investor and project management;
- Deutsche Bank - financial underwriter;
- Colonial First State - commercial development partner;
- Multiplex Constructions - builder;
- Multiplex Facilities Management - service delivery over the 25 year concession period;
- Hilton International - hotel operator; and
- NH Architecture / Woods Bagot / Larry Oltmanns - architecture and urban design.
The Melbourne Convention Centre has been built on the banks of the Yarra River (Southbank), adjacent to and fully integrated with the existing Melbourne Exhibition Centre. It was opened in July 2009.
The new convention centre can accommodate 5 000 delegates within a flexible Plenary Hall. The centre has been awarded a 6 Star Green Star environmental design rating.
Project delivery was managed by Major Projects Victoria.
The Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Trust operates the new convention centre and the existing exhibition centre.
The State contributed approximately $370 million toward construction of the centre. The remaining commercial development was financed privately. The City of Melbourne committed $43 million toward public realm works and a new bridge across the Yarra River (Seafarer's Bridge).
The contracted parties for the convention centre and commercial development are Plenary Conventions Pty Ltd and Plenary Group and South Wharf Retail Pty Ltd respectively.
The private sector:
- designed, built, financed and maintains the new centre;
- maintains the existing exhibition centre;
- designed and built the Seafarer's Bridge; and
- developed the surrounding commercial precinct.
The 2015-16 Victorian Budget provided $205 million for an expansion of the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre. The expansion added around 20,000 square meters of flexible, multi-purpose event space, including 9,000 square metres of new exhibition halls, and additional meeting and banquet rooms. The expansion has been completed and is fully connected and integrated with the existing Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre.
Director, Capital Projects
Phone: (03) 9651 9146