Victorian Correctional Facilities
$275 million (net present value, as at January 2004)
Service Delivery Commenced
Department or agency
Department of Justice and Regulation
Private sector partner
Victorian Correctional Infrastructure Partnership Pty Ltd, comprising:
- Bilfinger Berger BOT GmbH (equity);
- Baulderstone Hornibrook (as the design and construction company);
- United KG in conjunction with Baulderstone Services (as facility maintenance managers); and
- The Bank of Scotland is the debt provider.
The project has delivered two correctional facilities:
- Metropolitan Remand Centre - a new 600 bed maximum security men’s remand centre located in Ravenhall west of the Melbourne CDB; and
- Marngoneet Correctional Centre - a new 300 bed medium security men’s correctional programs centre located adjacent to the existing HM Prison Barwon at Lara.
These prisons enable Corrections Victoria to manage delivery of custodial services, prisoner worker industries, prisoner transport, and health, education and vocational services.
The design for the Remand Centre met the international standards for remand prisoners, accommodating them separately from convicted offenders. The design also provides for a legal centre and family visit area.
The correctional facilities are publicly operated by Corrections Victoria.
The contract with Victorian Correctional Infrastructure Partnership Pty Ltd is to finance, design, build, finance and provide facility management services, some security services and infrastructure services.
Signed on 23 December 2003, the contract is for a period of 25 years (post construction) and the private contractor is required to hand-back the facilities to the State in a condition of good repair.
The Marngoneet Correctional Centre opened on 3 March 2006 and the Metropolitan Remand Centre officially opened in April 2006.
Phone: 03 8684 6695