Ravenhall Prison Project
Service delivery commenced
Department or agency
Department of Justice and Regulation
The Victorian Government is building a new medium‑security men’s prison at Ravenhall, in Melbourne’s west, to accommodate 1,000 prisoners.
The new prison will deliver infrastructure and prison beds to assist in addressing demand for correctional services in Victoria. It is being built on existing Crown land at Ravenhall, adjacent to the Dame Phyllis Frost Centre and Metropolitan Remand Centre.
The project is a public private partnership, with the private sector responsible for design, construction, financing, maintenance and operations (including custodial services). This model will deliver high-quality, value-for-money correctional services.
Following a comprehensive tender process, GEO Consortium was selected to deliver the project and contracts were signed in September 2014. GEO Consortium comprises GEO Group Australia, John Holland Group, Honeywell and Capella Capital.
Key alliance partners, including Kangan Institute, YMCA, The Gathering Place and Melbourne City Mission, will deliver programs and services both in custody and post-release.
Forensic mental health services at the prison will be provided by Forensicare and health services by Correct Care Australasia (formerly GEO Care).
Major features of the project include:
- built capacity for 1,300 prisoners to meet possible future demand;
- modern prison technology to safely and securely contain prisoners;
- a 75-bed mental health unit, together with forensic mental health services for approximately 100 other prisoners on an outpatient basis;
- plans for service providers to continue to engage prisoners after release to further reduce their risk of reoffending;
- incentive payments for reducing reoffending across the prisoner population; and
- a flexible prison design allowing future changes to cater for prisoners with different needs.
A Project Summary was released in February 2015 and is available from the link below. The contract with the PPP consortium is also available using the link below.
Construction commenced in February 2015 and the prison opened in November 2017.
Phone: (03) 9194 2858