Southern Cross Station (formerly Spencer Street Station)
$309 million (net present cost value, as at June 2002) is the net cost to government
Service delivery commenced
Department or agency
Public Transport Victoria
Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
Private sector partner
Civic Nexus is a single purpose entity dedicated to the successful delivery of Southern Cross Station
Southern Cross Station (formerly known as Spencer Street Station) has been redeveloped into a world class station for Victoria. It is a gateway to Melbourne and the regions, and links the emerging Docklands precinct with the central business district of Melbourne.
The station project is now managed by Public Transport Victoria (previously it was managed by Department of Transport) in partnership with the Civic Nexus Consortium.
The project includes two components:
- the transport interchange redevelopment (for which the government has entered into a long-term service contract with Civic Nexus); and
- a commercial redevelopment that includes a retail precinct, car parking and offices (these are commercial developments which involve no payment by the government).
Some of the features of the transport interchange include:
- an open design light filled space with full glass frontage to Spencer Street and Collins Street with platform access from both the Bourke Street Bridge and Collins Street extension;
- more passenger information screens with real time train arrival and departure information and comfortable waiting areas;
- a 30-bay coach station;
- secure, sheltered parking facilities for 800 cars and five-minute drop off and pick up area; and
- improved public facilities and new retail outlets.
The project is a key initiative of the Victorian Government's $2 billion ‘Revitalising Victorian Rail’ program, which aims to improve passenger and freight rail service across Victoria.
The contract with Civic Nexus is to design, build, finance and maintain the transport interchange. The contract was executed on 2 July 2002 after a competitive tender process.
The Civic Nexus consortium, financed and led by ABN Amro Australia, contracted Leighton Contractors, Honeywell and Delaware North Australia to deliver and operate the development.
The Southern Cross Station Authority is managing the Partnerships Victoria contract for the transport interchange. There are a number of operators at the site who lease rail and station infrastructure to provide key rail services to the public.
They are responsible for managing the rail infrastructure and platforms, including track, metro train control system and the electrical control system. These operators include Metro, V/Line Passenger and Freight Victoria.
Practical completion handover occurred with effect from July 2006. The other commercial and retail developments will continue over time.
In June 2007 the station was awarded the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) Lubetkin Prize for the most outstanding building outside the European Union, and the RIBA International Award. The Station has also collected some Australian awards such as the Australian Construction Achievement Award 2007.
Phone: 03 9027 4993