South Eastern Roads Upgrade
Department or agency
Major Road Projects Authority
The Suburban Roads Upgrade (SRU) Program will transform Melbourne’s outer suburban arterial road network and address the gap in infrastructure investment generated by rapid land use change. The first stage of the SRU Program – the Western Roads Upgrade achieved financial close in December and is currently in delivery.
The next stages of the SRU Program are the South Eastern Roads Upgrade and the Northern Roads Upgrade packages, to be delivered as availability PPP projects building on the success of the Western Roads Upgrade.
The South Eastern Roads Upgrade will transform the arterial road network in the south eastern suburbs by boosting capacity and significantly improving road pavement conditions and network infrastructure.
The South Eastern Roads Upgrade will deliver a combination of duplications and upgrade works on seven south eastern arterial roads, including:
- Golf Links Road, from Peninsula Link to Baxter-Tooradin Road, and Grant Road, from Baxter-Tooradin Road to Frankston-Flinders Road, Langwarrin South;
- Healesville – Koo Wee Rup Road, from Princes Freeway to Manks Road, Pakenham;
- Hallam North Road, from Heatherton Road to James Cook Drive, Endeavour Hills;
- Lathams Road, from Oliphant Way to Frankston-Dandenong Road, Carrum Downs;
- Narre Warren – Cranbourne Road, from Thompsons Road to South Gippsland Highway, Cranbourne;
- Pound Road West, with a new bridge over Cranbourne rail line to connect to Remington Drive, Dandenong South; and
- Thompsons Road – Stage 3, Cranbourne.
The road upgrades will be combined with rehabilitation and maintenance for the arterial road network across the south eastern‑suburbs for a contract term of 20 years, ensuring the arterial road network is maintained to a high standard.
Procurement commenced in July 2018 with the release of the Expressions of Interest. Contractual and financial close is expected by end 2019.
Construction is expected to begin in 2020 and be completed in 2023.
Website: South Eastern Roads Upgrade