Northern Roads Upgrade
Department or agency
Major Road Projects Authority
The Suburban Roads Upgrade (SRU) Program will transform Melbourne’s outer suburban arterial road network and address the gap in infrastructure investment generated by rapid land use change. The first stage of the SRU Program – the Western Roads Upgrade achieved financial close in December and is currently in delivery.
The next stages of the SRU Program are the South Eastern Roads Upgrade and the Northern Roads Upgrade packages, to be delivered as availability PPP projects building on the success of the Western Roads Upgrade.
The Northern Roads Upgrade will transform the arterial road network in the northern suburbs by boosting capacity and significantly improving road pavement conditions and network infrastructure.
The Northern Roads Upgrade will combine duplication and upgrade works to six northern arterial roads including:
- Childs Road, from Beaumont Crescent to Prince of Wales Avenue, Mill Park;
- Craigieburn Road, from Mickleham Road to the Hume Highway, Craigieburn;
- Epping Road, from Craigieburn Road East to Memorial Avenue, Epping;
- Fitzsimons Lane intersection upgrades in Eltham and Templestowe, and Leane Drive in Eltham;
- Sunbury Road, from Bulla-Diggers Rest Road to Powlett Street, Sunbury; and
- Bridge Inn Road, from Plenty Road to Yan Yean Road, Doreen.
The road upgrades will be combined with rehabilitation and maintenance for the arterial road network across the northern suburbs for a contract term of 20 years, ensuring the arterial road network is maintained to a high standard.
Procurement commenced in July 2018 with the release of the Expressions of Interest. Contractual and financial close is expected by early 2020.
Construction is expected to begin from 2020 and be completed by 2025.
Website: Northern Roads Upgrade