Geelong Convention and Exhibition Centre
Request for Proposal
Department and agency
Rural and Regional Victoria, Department of Jobs, Skills, Industry and Regions, with procurement and delivery managed by Development Victoria
The Geelong Convention and Exhibition Centre (GCEC) precinct will include a 1,000-seat plenary venue which will be developed with over 3,000 square metres of flexible multipurpose space to allow large and small events to run concurrently, as well as a hotel and commercial spaces.
The GCEC will support 600 jobs during construction and an additional 270 ongoing jobs once complete. The hotel will further boost employment opportunities and strengthen the region’s visitor economy.
Details of commercial opportunities to activate the precinct and create better connections to the Central Business District and Western Beach, such as the hotel, will be determined through the tender process.
The $261 million commitment from the Victorian Government, $30 million from the Commonwealth Government and $3 million from the City of Greater Geelong, collectively bring the total project value to $294 million.
The project will be delivered as an availability public private partnership under the Partnerships Victoria framework. The private consortium will design, construct, finance and maintain the new facility.
In August 2022 three shortlisted respondents were announced:
- Kinetik – comprising Tetris Capital, Amber Australia, Kane Constructions, ISS Facility Services, MONNO Projects, Warren & Mahoney and Six Degrees.
- Geelong Live – comprising Capella Capital, Aware Super, Lendlease Building, Honeywell, MAB Corporation, Populous, Hassell, Freadman White and Oculus.
- Plenary Conventions – comprising Plenary Group, Built, BGIS, Woods Bagot, WSP and 4D Workshop.
The successful respondent is expected to be announced in mid-2023.
Construction is expected to start in late-2023 and the first event to be hosted in 2026.
Rural and Regional Victoria within the Department of Jobs, Skills, Industry and Regions is the lead responsible agency. Development Victoria will manage the procurement and delivery of the project in accordance with the Partnerships Victoria framework.
- Regional Development Victoria: Geelong Convention and Exhibition Centre
- Development Victoria: Geelong Convention and Exhibition Centre