The Ravenhall Prison Project will deliver a new medium-security prison facility to accommodate 1,000 prisoners and is expected to be completed in 2017.
Ravenhall Prison Project
Department of Justice & Regulation
The Victorian Government is building a new medium‑security men’s prison at Ravenhall, in Melbourne’s west, to accommodate 1,000 prisoners.
The new prison will deliver infrastructure and prison beds to assist in addressing demand for correctional services in Victoria. It is being built on existing Crown land at Ravenhall, adjacent to the Dame Phyllis Frost Centre and Metropolitan Remand Centre.
The project is a public private partnership, with the private sector responsible for design, construction, financing, maintenance and operations (including custodial services). This model will deliver high-quality, value-for-money correctional services.
Following a comprehensive tender process, GEO Consortium was selected to deliver the project and contracts were signed in September 2014. GEO Consortium comprises GEO Group Australia, John Holland Group, Honeywell and Capella Capital.
Key alliance partners, including Kangan Institute, YMCA, The Gathering Place and Melbourne City Mission, will deliver programs and services both in custody and post-release.
Forensic mental health services at the prison will be provided by Forensicare and health services by Correct Care Australasia (formerly GEO Care).
Major features of the project include:
• built capacity for 1,300 prisoners to meet possible future demand
• modern prison technology to safely and securely contain prisoners
• a 75-bed mental health unit, together with forensic mental health services for approximately 100 other prisoners on an outpatient basis
• plans for service providers to continue to engage prisoners after release to further reduce their risk of reoffending
• incentive payments for reducing reoffending across the prisoner population
• a flexible prison design allowing future changes to cater for prisoners with different needs.
A Project Summary was released in February 2015 and is available from the link below. The contract with the PPP consortium is also available using the link below.
Construction commenced in February 2015 and is expected to be completed in late 2017.
Ben Dempsey, Project Director
Phone: (03) 8684 8300
Ravenhall Prison Project Summary February 2015
Ravenhall Prison Project Website
Ravenhall Prison Project Contract
Work begins on Victoria's newest prison