Executive vehicle policy - Frequently asked questions


Top 20 frequently asked questions about the executive vehicle policy.

As an executive officer (EO) will I be invited to select my replacement EO vehicle?

You will be able to identify which vehicle you would like as your replacement vehicle. Your respective departmental fleet manager should advise you when the 60K or 36 months term is coming up.

What lease terms are available?

Lease terms are struck according to the amount of kilometres a vehicle expects to travel each year and the rule of 60K or 3 years, which ever comes first is applied.

What vehicles can be chosen under the EO scheme?

See related publications for a list of approved vehicles for executive salary packaging.

Can EO’s choose either a 4 cylinder, LPG or hybrid vehicle?


Is an EO’s contribution rate less if the operating costs are less?

Possibly. Costs are calculated according to the purchase cost and engine size of the vehicle selected.

Can EO’s have a non-Australian manufactured vehicle?

No. Unless you qualify for an exemption due to having a large family. Then you can select a people mover from the government contract.

Exemption may also be granted when an executive and/or a family member is disabled or has a medically qualified ailment that requires a specially fitted vehicle not manufactured or optioned up in Australia. Four wheel drive vehicles are not permitted.

What accessories can an EO have on the vehicle?

See the Victorian Government standard motor vehicle policy for details regarding accessories in related publications.

What are the rules around an EO taking leave? Can the vehicle be returned and contributions suspended then reinstated when the EO returns?

Yes, when an EO takes long service leave for a minimum of four weeks. For recreation leave, executives retain full use of their vehicle. Refer to section 3.4 of the Victorian Government standard motor vehicle policy for details - see related publications.

Can an EO take their vehicle interstate on business or on holidays?

Yes. Executive may take their vehicle interstate while on business or holidays.

Does an EO have to bring their EO vehicle to work every day?

Yes. All vehicles must be made available for business use from Monday to Friday during normal business hours, except when the executive is on approved leave.

If an EO vehicle is used for business, should a log book be maintained? If so, where can one be obtained from?

Yes. Vehicle logbooks must be maintained when an executive vehicle is made available for business use by any government employee, other than the executive to whom the car is assigned. This requirement is for dealing with fringe benefits tax and infringement notices. Your departmental fleet manager will provide one.

Where can an EO park their vehicle during business hours? Who pays for parking? Can an EO use the car park after hours?

As an EO, a parking bay may be provided in the designated parking area relative to your department. Parking is included in an executive’s remuneration package and if you have been provided with an access card for the parking area you can use it after hours.

Are EO’s responsible for arranging an e-tag with City Link and can the EO claim back costs for business usage?

Yes. The EO is required to arrange and manage their own e-tag and the EO can claim all business use from their department, using an expense claim form.

As an EO, what fuel cards are available?

BP, Caltex and Shell – visit the Victorian Government Purchasing Board's website for more information about fuel and associated products external site icon

Does an EO have to give the odometer reading when filling their vehicle up with fuel? What should be done with the fuel card receipts and can a claim be made for the cost of fuel if forced to use an alternative supplier e.g. not Shell?

Yes. This information allows your fleet manager to monitor fuel consumption and be able to plan vehicle replacement, and provides information for departmental reporting of green house gas emissions.

It also provides information for alerting your fleet manager when the vehicle is coming up for replacement or servicing. Recycle the receipt and you can claim this in line with your departmental financial claims processes.

How will the driver be identified if my EO vehicle is involved in infringements and who is responsible for paying the fine?

When an infringement notice is received, your fleet manager will contact the EO via phone or email to identify the driver. If the EO is not the driver, the details of the offending driver must be supplied within the specified time frame as per the infringement notice.

If a vehicle logbook is kept it will assist with the identification of a driver at the time of the incident. Alternatively, a photo of the driver can be obtained from civic compliance.

Note: The allocated driver for that vehicle will pay the fee for the photo. The driver at the time of the incident, is personally responsible for the payment of all fines and penalties resulting from their use of a government vehicle.

What should an EO do if their vehicle is involved in an accident?

The driver of a Government vehicle involved in a motor vehicle accident should stop the vehicle immediately. When a person is injured or property is damaged as a result of the accident, the driver should provide the required assistance and report to the nearest accessible police station.

If there are no personal injuries and the owner of the damaged property is present on site, then reporting the incident to the police is optional. See the Victorian Government standard motor vehicle policy in related publications for details.

The driver must complete a Lumley Insurance claim form (PDF 177kb) and have it signed by their fleet manager and then forward to the insurer.

Is an EO responsible if one of their authorised drivers has an accident?

No. It is an EO’s responsibility to advise the Fleet Manager and initiate rectification/insurance to the vehicle. See the Victorian Government standard motor vehicle policy under related publications for details.

If an EO has an accident interstate, will they be able to obtain a replacement vehicle while their car is repaired?

Yes. In the event of an accident, EO’s are able to hire a replacement vehicle while theirs is being repaired. See the Victorian Government standard motor vehicle policy under related publications for details.

Under the insurance cover what is the excess for damage and what is the excess for personal effects for EOs?

The excess is $500 which is payable by the department the driver is linked to.

There is no personal effects excess, but a claim is limited up to $375 reimbursement for personal effects. e.g. golf clubs stolen from your vehicle valued at $1100, then $375 will be reimbursed. Or $100 worth of CDs then $100 will be reimbursed.

Note: written quotes to support any claim are required.